Monday, February 19, 2007

I Kissed Dating Goodbye

I recently finished reading 'I Kissed Dating Goodbye'.
It was God that initially asked me to read it, but He asked me through my friends.
Three of them mentioned the book, (singing its praises) within a few weeks! I took this is as a hint from God that He might want me to read it, and so one morning I sat down to read it and couldn't put it down. I finally forced myself to so that I could do my chores, and I walked out into the kitchen to my mom yelling, "Kendra! I kissed dating goodbye is on the radio!!!" What she meant was that they were re-airing a radio interview with the author of the book!
I couldn't believe it!!! I had JUST been reading it...On top of all my friends recommending it, now THIS???
Of course, I read it within a week, and I loved it.
It emphasizes Courtship, which according to Joshua Harris, is a time for a 'couple' to deepen their friendship, grow in the Lord together, see how they react together as a couple, and test the possibility of marriage.
Now that may sound very serious, and I guess it is.
Joshua Harris says in the book that you shouldn't pursue a romantic relationship unless you're ready to get married.
At first that sound threatening, and I didn't receive it well at first. But thinking about it some more, I think it really is quite an inspirational statement. I mean, it makes you WANT to be ready for marriage, and so it motivates you to treat others with more kindness, respect, and love. It also motivates you to become more efficient as far as running a household. I hate chores just like everyone else, but now I see a purpose in them...I'm preparing myself for the day when I run a household of my own!
I've also realized that if I'm going to be ready to be married, I need to have a firm foundation in Christ. I love Jesus, but I am not as devoted as I ought to be.
It's just a spectacular book, and if you are a teenager, you ought to read it...it's excellent.
I really believe (especially since God so obviously shoved it in my face) that He wants me to follow the concepts introduced in the book...and I am willing.
Now I'm reading, "Boy Meets Girl - Say Hello to Courtship!"
Do you want to know something? While we're on the subject of marriage and all that good stuff, I just think I ought to share that I've NEVER had a good dream about getting married. Never. At least not to my knowledge. In all of them, I'm scared to death, or wanting to run away, or calling off the wedding. It's awful!

No comments: