Tuesday, May 22, 2007

So If You're Lonely, Why'd You Say You're Not Lonely?

Why do humans have to make things so complicated? I don't think anyone can deny that it's human nature to complicate things that do not need to be complicated.
If we are upset and someone asks us about it, usually our first response is, "I'm fine." We don't want anyone to know that there's anything wrong...Ever. Why? I'm not saying we should all become emotional basketcases and get upset all the time and make sure everyone knows about it...that's not pleasant, either.
But why do we have to lie? Is it because we don't want to expose our vulnerabilities? Are we embarrassed that we even have them? EVERYONE has vulnerabilities.
The other night at youth group, I almost didn't share something that was going on in my life because it's the natural thing to do to just act like everything's alright. We can never let things get too serious. We always have to be happy, and no one can ever know about our secret sorrows or the things that cause us pain.
I was talking to my friend about this in relation to love the other day. Here is something he said:
"When a child likes someone, he picks her a flower, brings it to her, and says, 'I like you', and she says, 'I like you too.' It's simple. The Bible says to approach the kingdom of God as children...I think He meant for us to approach life that way, too."
I really like that idea. Why can't we just admit it when we like or love someone? I love the beautiful simplicity of it...
Telling someone about your feelings for them. What a novel idea.
Okay, so maybe it's not the right time or place or anything like that...maybe God is saying to wait. That's fine. But still, why does it have to be so complicated? Does love have to be something we're all ashamed of and try to cover up?
Does emotion itself have to be something we're ashamed of? Everyone has feelings...so why are we embarrassed by them?

It reminds me of the song, 'Stained Glass Masquerade' -

"Are we happy plastic people under a shiny plastic steeple - with walls around our weakness and smiles that hide our pain..."

That's just a part of that song (which is magnificent by the way), but it's amazing. Why do we feel the need to be happy all the time? To be plastic and predictable...to never feel hurt?
Just think about the things you do...instead of automatically excluding the idea of simplicity, think about WHY you won't allow yourself to do a certain thing...Is God actually saying this or that, or is it just your human nature complicating things and shutting people out?
Anyway...I think I've made my point by now. I'm tired. That means rambling.
Goodnight!!!

1 comment:

justjuls said...

Your posts amaze me!
I love the way you think. I love your heart.
I just told you how I felt - so there!