Thursday, June 19, 2008

BAM, BAM!!! Take that, Europe!!!


I have made a decision about what I'm doing when I get out of high school.

On April 17, 2010, (give or take a couple days), I am moving to Italy. I am thinking somewhere in Northern Italy, but at the moment Florence and Rome are the two major cities on my list.

Whenever I tell people I am doing this (especially people at work), they ask, "Why? Why does it have to be so far away?" I am always surprised at what a negative reaction I get whenever I tell people I want to see the world. I always thought traveling was a good thing...I always thought experience was a good thing. But here is the answer to that question, 'Why Italy?'

It's really very simple. I want to go to Europe. I have tried learning Italian in the past and loved it. My friend went to Italy, and she says the people there are friendly and warm. Italian food is delicious. Venice, one of the two most romantic cities, is there. The drinking age is only 16. And what in the world is cooler than being able to say that you lived in Italy??? Okay...so maybe there are cooler things...But not to me.

As flippant as that paragraph may sound, I have been seriously looking into this. I have been browsing rooms for rent on sites that advertise apartments...Deciding which city I want to move to, and even invited my mother and sister to come along for a month and help me settle in when I move. My mother is also going to be looking at apartments with me. I am saving like crazy...Right now, for a car. As soon as I buy my car (which should happen next year around the time I turn 18, if not before), I will save up for Italy, so I can have a foundation as well as extra euros when I get there:-D

I am sooooooooooo excited!!! I can't wait. I have always known I wanted to travel, and I knew I wanted to live in Italy for at least awhile...but it wasn't until my friend Sunnie came back from a visit to Italy and France that I decided to make a plan. To get serious about it. With a vague outline of what you want, you get nowhere. I have a solid plan now and I know what I want. I am YOUNG! Now is the time to do these things!!!

Europe won't know what hit it;-)

11 comments:

Kaitlyn said...

I am so happy for you! But at the same time, I'm sad that things are changing. You know how it depresses me. Anyway, I want you to be happy, so I'm supporting you! =)
Just remember that the reason why people are being negative about it is because they don't want you to leave them! I know they're all sad that you're going to leave. So there!

Stephanie said...

Do you realize that iTaly is the only place I really want to travel to? How cool is that!!! I want to go to Tuscany some day for sure. I do not have any concrete plans but hey I'm 20 years older than you and can't just go.
Enjoy the process and the plans and reaching for your goals!!!!

Halfmoon Girl said...

I had to hop over here from your mom's to see what would be keeping her busy in the spring of 2010! My hubby and I want to go over there one day too. You should absolutely try to make that dream come true!

Kate said...

Get saving...it sounds incredible!

Anonymous said...

Good for you girl. Go for it!
Everyone I know who has gone has loved it - the Poyners' (remember them?) grandaughters were there for a year as exchange students, loved it, and one of them is now married to a guy she met there. Danielle's sister-in law spent a semester there as an exchange student and also loved it. Robbie (Danielle's husband) visited for three weeks before they were married and he enjoyed it a lot. Robbie's Dad is going there again this summer to study Latin, so evidently he must like it there too.
Alexandra is planning on visiting Europe sometime next year - maybe she will run into you :)
I just got my passport - maybe I will decide to come visit too. Better get a comfy couch just in case :)

Kathie said...

That sounds so awesome! I would LOVE to go to Italy. Kameron has decided he is going to France and he is really getting serious about it. I'm very impressed. You guys will have to meet up as your traveling in Europe. You go girl!

Kirsten said...

Sounds like fun. A few tidbits from someone who travels. Get as much Italian under your belt as you can now - and I don't mean food. You have 3 months on a tourist visa, but if you find a language school, you could get a student visa and stay longer. Talk to the embassy in DC. Get good health insurance that travels with you. And enjoy the Italian culture but don't be ashamed of yours. Both are great in their own ways! I'd love to hear more about your plans so keep up the news!

amatthews said...

This is the perfect time to do this - Traveling is a wonderful form of education. Keep up the planning and saving. What an exciting adventure!

Katie said...

My boys and I have been learning Italian for a couple of years. Maybe we could come along as translators?

Beanie said...

WHY?!?!? THEY ASKED WHY??? Well, why NOT? I think this is marvelous and I'm so excited for you! I'd like to say I'm doing the same thing, but for now, my plans with Italy include some massive visiting invasions. ^_~ I want to travel and see the world as well, but my first priorities lie in the arts and London...
Soooo...can I visit??? *When* I get that second house in London (hehe) I want you to visit. I also want cameos (of you) in any movies I'm in, you got it? I need a fellow dreamer/passionate-enough-to-do-what-I-love person in my life with all these other nay-sayers. *Shakes head* Go for it girl and I support you every step up the way!! You'll get there. :)
((HUGS))
♥Beanie

Grace Walker said...

I think this is so beautiful Kendra!! From one dreamer to another, this can and will happen for you. I admire your passion and resolve. Both are very powerful forces. We just met someone at Olive Garden about a week ago, from Italy. I was so engrossed listening to her talk about how much she loved it that I could've sat there all night. She was kind and lovely woman, who said to me to please come and visit because she has a house there!!! How awesome is that?!? I told her I would love to take her up on that.

I'm very excited about your plans and all of my very best wishes are sent your way, as you walk this path.

Hugs!!
Sheryl