Thursday, August 9, 2007

"Old Enough" - And Co'op!

Today, I did not get on the computer at all until just about an hour ago, and today has been spent blissfully in my PJs, reading 80 pages of Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows and studying my Biology.

I have been applying myself more than usual and getting a lot done lately...which I am very happy about. I'm tired of days spent on the computer, dreaming and planning about what I am going to do when I am old enough instead of just BEING old enough right now. There are so many things I can do that I just don't do because I'm 'not old enough' - when in reality it's just because I'm lazy and I don't want to get things together in order to do what I want to do...and since I've been making myself do these things, there is a great satisfaction about life because I'm at least dabbling in the things I want to do instead of vegging out on the computer.

A lot of good things have been happening lately...I have just come out of a season of depression - not horrible depression, but just missing the things I used to have in West Virginia that I feel like I don't have here...we had things to do - obligations to fulfill. I prefer a little bit of stress to no expectations at all. Sometime in June, I just started losing my optimism a little bit and sinking into hopelessness. I couldn't see how things were going to get better living here...

But just recently, my mom heard about this homeschool co'op...Homeschool Grace Co'op, and we will be attending. It seems like a great place...You go once a week, and it is structured like a school, except you only take classes that you want to take. It seems so great, and it fits in alright with the whole unschooling philosophy I try to abide by, too...because I'm not taking any classes that I'm not interested in. My subjects will be English, Literature, Biology 2, Art, and Drama. I can't wait!

Apparently there are going to be a lot of kids my age, too...plenty of high schoolers to get to know - people I might actually have something in common with...

I feel like a geek for being so excited about this...sort of desperate...but I think it's okay for me to be a little bit overexcited about this, considering the fact that in some ways, I've been the boy in the plastic bubble for the past year and a half!

YAY FOR CO'OP!!!

2 comments:

Kate said...

You're the cutest geek ever!

Stephanie said...

I am happy for you! The beauty of unschooling is that real, natural learning has to be intrinsically motivated and you my dear just helped prove that :)
I hope it works out for you!