Wednesday, July 11, 2007

Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix

I went to see Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix last night to celebrate my sister's birthday.

The outing itself was just so much fun...We rode into the city singing along with all our teen angst music, then went to Pizza Hut, and Marble Slab Creamery...I love ice cream!!!

After that we headed over to the theater about an hour and a half early...which somehow turned out not to feel like too long of a wait...We got really good seats and my friend Bethany and I walked around the theater and hung out in the arcade for awhile.

The movie was spectacular...I liked it a lot. I do have a few complaints, though.

They left out SOOOO much stuff that was in the book. I think I can understand why, because the book was very long, and the movie was already 2 1/2 hours long without all the extra stuff, but still...there were a few things that I was really looking forward to seeing! Also, the scenes were very short, and things did not happen in the same order that they happened in the book. They did not go into much detail about certain things that I would like to be more clear - at least as clear as it was in the book; Some characters were not nearly as developed in the movie as they were in the book, which I disliked. Like I said, though, I really appreciated the movie as a movie by itself and as part of the movie series.

I still love the twins, Fred and George. So many of the people have changed so much in the movies! Their appearance for the most part. Fred and George have changed a lot...Professor Lupin has changed slightly.

I can't really say anything else because I would probably end up giving away something about the movie...but trust me, it was good!

I really love the character's clothes...I know it sounds strange, but I have an obsession with winter clothes and hats and scarves and sweaters and such. I love the 'London style' as I refer to it, and they have a lot of that in the movie.

Something else I liked in the movie is that one of the professors gave open examples of how things often are in public school. This person said something along the lines of, "You will know enough to pass your exams, which, after all, is what school is all about!" When she said that my mom and I looked at each other and shared a silent giggle, because it's something we talk about and observe a lot. It's so true! In today's public school system, that is so often the way people think of it. You don't need to know it if it's not on the test, right?

So right now, as far as the movies go...I think I'm torn between the fourth and fifth. There's something about the fourth that I just really liked...No idea why...there were so many cute guys in that one, but I think it also just brings back some good memories. I went to see that with a big group of my friends in West Virginia after rehearsal for a play. It was grand! (Did I just say grand? How peculiar...Hehe!)

I can't WAIT for the sixth to come out. The book was amazing. The fifth book was pretty good, but when the sixth movie comes out, I'm throwing a party!!!

5 comments:

Kate said...

Sounds like the perfect 14 birthday party...nice Kaitlyn invited you along!!!
And tell her I said Happy Birthday.

justjuls said...

Great post!
I'm glad you remembered that quote - I sure butchered it!

girl with a flower tattoo said...

Hey Kendra!

Nice to hear from you! How have you been?

Things here are going well. This summer has been a strange one - the days go by so quickly. Nothing significant occurs. I look back on my weeks and wonder what I actually accomplished. This whole year has flown by & everything which has occurred seems a dream.

Are you still seeking out Colleges & Universities? Do you still want to pursue a higher education? Are you going to pursue a career in creative writing? You write really well.

Hmm... I suppose that's all for now. Will be in touch,
Take Care,
Alexandra

P.S. You should check out the book Sophie's World - it's REALLY good! I don't read a whole lot of fiction, it usually doesn't hold my attention. But this book is really interesting & I haven't been able to put it down. It's a history of Philosophy with a fictitional mysterious tale intertwined.

Anonymous said...

Hi Kendra. I am a puter pal of your moms, but I feel like I know you, because I have been reading about you and seeing pics of you and your family for so long. tee hee!

We also went to see this on opening day. We hold the same opinions as you do. I often wonder if people who have not read the book really understand what's going on here. For example, they really don't portray Harry angst over losing Sirius. They may pick it up in the next movie, though. I wrote on your mom's blog that I thought the exclusion of developing the realtionship between McGonagall and Umbridge was disappointing.

However as you said, they can only put so much into 2.5 hours and this was such an intricate storyline. Curious, did you feel as though the grazed over the top of many storie lines? Like the skimmed the top off the book?

Great post! I will have to add you to my favorites and come back more often. =)

justjuls said...

Hey baby -
I just gave you an award -
Go to this link on my blog - and read all about it - then pass it on!
http://jewlsntexas.blogspot.com/2007/07/blogger-reflection-award.html