Monday, July 16, 2007

Mutant Cake and Birthday Sentiments


Yesterday was my sister's birthday!

She turned 14 years old yesterday at 5 am something...before she woke up.

About a week before her birthday, I decided I wanted to make her a cake...I had taken a cake decorating class at a homeschool co'op a few years before, and had a cake decorating kit I'd gotten for Christmas that same year. So I started planning it out, and asked Kaitlyn what kind of cake she wanted and what she wanted on it, etc., etc...

What she described to me sounded like a mutant cake...it was so weird. She couldn't seem to get straight what she wanted for about a day, but what came out ended up really nice.

I must say, it's not the perfect Martha Stewart sort of thing I imagined, but it's definitely better than I thought I could do! Not to mention, it tasted alright, too...

The top left picture is of me with the cake. Duh.

The other is a picture of Kaitlyn yesterday with a piece of the cake (I took her to the schoolyard down the road for a picnic kind of thingy).

Now, in honor of a certain 14 year old, I want to say a few things about Kaitlyn.

From the beginning, Kaitlyn has always been somewhat quiet. More quiet than I am, at any rate, and less likely to tell you what's really on her mind. I remember when I was little, I used to look at this darling little sister and think, "Why doesn't she ever talk?"

She has also always had a moody streak. We have home video of she and I at Christmas one year. I reached out and tried to take a present she considered hers, and immediately, her natural defense mechanisms were put into motion...She scrunched up her face and strarted shrieking (through the barrier of her binky, I might add) at the top of her lungs!!!

She still has these characteristics today! They are two things I hate about her, and love about her at the same time.

We have always been good friends and playmates, but here in these past few years, Kaitlyn and I have become best friends, and I wouldn't have it any other way...She is always there to talk to me, and I can tell her just about anything. It's amazing to have someone so much like you and yet so very different at the same time to be your friend. It's amazing to have someone that you are so in sync with that sometimes, at a time when it would be inappropriate to laugh, you have to avoid looking at that person because you know that if you do, you will be able to tell by the look in their eyes that you both thought it was funny, and then there's no hope for you. You're going to laugh, and you're going to laugh hard. It's great to have someone who will say your thought aloud while you're still thinking it because you're so much on the same wavelength that you think the same things at the same time. It's great to have someone to laugh with when no one else thinks something is funny. It's great to have your own dorky inside jokes. It's great to watch chick flicks together. It's great to have someone to go dance in the rain with. It's great to have a sister.

People have always mistaken us for twins...and it's no wonder. We really are like twins born two years apart...it's amazing.

I love her so much, and I don't know what I would do without her.

Kaitlyn, you my rock, girl!

2 comments:

Kaitlyn said...

I love you Kendra!
That whole post was very true, I'm proud to have you as my sister! =)

justjuls said...

I think you're both pretty awesome!
And that cake would've made Martha Stewart proud!