Wednesday, July 18, 2007

Ice Cream and Chai Cake

Recently, my mom, brother, sister and I went to West Virginia where we used to live for a two week visit. I had so much fun there, and we slid very well back into our old positions in our little circle of friends. I couldn't stand it the night we had to go...Couldn't take the thought of leaving WV again, so I decided that night, while laying in a dark room in a heap of some of my closest friends and listening to my best guy friend, Devan, play piano, that when I turned 18, I would come back to West Virginia and live there...maybe not forever, but at least for awhile.

It took me awhile to tell my mom about this plan, but when I did, she was less than thrilled. A lot less than thrilled.

This, to me, is one of the first signs that I'm really growing up. The fact that my mom actually took this plan seriously instead of waving it off as a phase that would pass really surprised me. She was actually upset about it...which could only mean that she believed me.

I decided that that was what I wanted to do, though. And so I put it in the back of my mind in the 'worry about it later' folder of the disorganized filing cabinet that serves as my brain. I am the kind of person that doesn't get excited or sad over something until it's looking at me right in the face. Apparently though, my mom isn't. It has been at the forefront of her mind, and stayed there, ever since I told her. And I didn't realize how much it bothered her until today.

We were watching Gilmore Girls today, and an episode came on about Rory (the seventeen year old daughter on the show) going off to Harvard, the school she has always wanted to attend. She is in her senior year of high school in this episode, and someone asks her mom, Lorelei, questions like, "What are you going to do with Rory's room when she leaves?" and it starts to hit Lorelei that Rory is really leaving soon...you can tell it's sort of a surprise of Lorelei, not because she didn't know it was coming, but because she didn't see it coming so fast!

Towards the end, my mom started tearing up and said, "Oh, I can't watch this episode!"

I asked her what was wrong, and she just shook her head and wouldn't tell me for a few minutes...

So when the show was done, she followed me into the dining room and hugged me, saying, "You can't go to Harvard!" (which, by the way, I'm not planning on...Harvard now, to mom, apparently represents any place that is more than five miles away from her).

She just cried and cried and wouldn't let go of me for a few minutes...and if I said, "I love you, Mom," it only made her cry even more. In the end, the only thing that resolved this sad issue was ice cream.

But I can tell that ice cream won't suffice for very long. Growing up is a sad thing. And a hard thing. I just hope it ends up being worthwhile.



Now for something a little bit happier to think about...A few days ago, after watching Ratatouille, I was looking through some cookbooks, and found a recipe for chai cake...

Now, if you know me, you know that you'll be hard pressed to find a thing that I love more than chai tea! I was so excited, I about had a seizure when I found this recipe!

So tonight I just randomly decided to make it.

It was good! Really good! We stayed up way late watching Gilmore Girls and eating Chai Cake...Boy was I a happy girl! lol

1 comment:

girl with a flower tattoo said...

chai cake!!! do send me the recipe!

as for moving away, that's a difficult and necessary transition. it's a great experience in which you are provided with the opportunity to develop your own thoughts & ideals - to become an independent creature. don't worry, your mom will eventually calm down, especially when she learns you are happy & pursuing what you want.